Friday, July 10, 2015

The Best Nurse I've Ever Had

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/Kat4779/supernurse.jpg
By no means am I the most experienced nurse around.  I graduated in 2007 and I've only been an ER nurse for a year.

I'm certainly not the most knowledgable nurse I know.  In fact, I've tagged a few nurses in my ER that I can go to when I have a "what on earth was that" moment.  They usually know the answers and keep me in line...

I really can't say that I never make mistakes.  Sometimes I look at a chart after a patient has left and think, "I hope the lawyer doesn't see that."  I forget to go and get the cup of ice and the extra blanket that I promised.  I treat a patient for three hours before realizing that they don't have a name band and I've given several medications.  I miss more than my share of IV sticks.  I almost always show up 1 minute late no matter what I do.  To save my life I can't remember the name of the patient in room 23.  I had a nurse ask me if I had charted the black eye on that patient who just got shipped to the level 1 hospital... I hadn't even noticed it.

So why is it, then, that I have had many patients say to me: "you are the best nurse I've ever had"?

I don't say this to brag - if I wanted to brag I wouldn't admit to all that stuff up above - but because I think that maybe I've found my nursing superpower: empathy

Read More

No comments:

Athlone IT Nursing & Health Science Building